Dioceses of India
Total: 1
Ranchi

Archdiocese of Ranchi

Quick Links:      History
Rite: Latin
Region : Bijhan
Patron: St. Francis Xavier
Founded: 25 May 1927
Province: Ranchi
Status: Archdiocese
Total area:  5,299 sq. kms.
Total Population : 2,912,022
Catholics Total: 150,419
Diocesan Priests: 62
Religious Priests: 178
Religious Sisters: 720
Minor Seminarians: 0
Major Seminarians: 0

Bishop of the Diocese

Most Rev. Felix Toppo,SJ
Archbishop of Ranchi
Personal Details
Born:21-Nov-1947
Priestly Ordination:14-Apr-1982
Episcopal Ordination:27-Sep-1997
Period:2018-
Contact Details
Archbishop’s House,Dr. Camil Bulcke Path (Purulia Road),P. B. No. 5, Ranchi - 834 001, (Jharkhand)
Tel(O): 0651-23 50 728
Fax : 23 50 144
Email : ranchiarchdiocese@gmail.com
His Eminence Telesphore P Cardinal Toppo
Archbishop Emeritus of Ranchi
Personal Details
Born:15-Oct-1939
Priestly Ordination:3-May-1969
Episcopal Ordination:7-Oct-1978
Period:1985-
Contact Details
Archbishop’s House,Dr. Camil Bulcke Path (Purulia Road),P. B. No. 5, Ranchi - 834 001, (Jharkhand)
Tel(O): 0651-23 50 728
Fax : 23 50 144
Email : ranchiarchdiocese@gmail.com
Most Rev. Telesphore Bilung, SVD
Auxiliary Bishop of Ranchi
Personal Details
Born:15-Apr-1961
Priestly Ordination:2-May-1992
Episcopal Ordination:30-Aug-2014
Period:--
Contact Details
Archbishop’s House, P. B. No. 5, Dr. Camil Bulcke Path, Ranchi - 834 001 (Jharkhand)
Tel(O): 0651-23 50 728
Fax : 23 50 144
Email : ranchiarchdiocese@gmail.com
Most Rev. Theodore Mascarenhas,SFX
Auxiliary Bishop of Ranchi
Personal Details
Born:9-Nov-1960
Priestly Ordination:24-Apr-1988
Episcopal Ordination:30-Aug-2014
Period:--
Contact Details
CBCI Centre 1, Ashok Place, Near Gole Dakkhana, New Delhi - 110 001
Tel(O): 0651-23 50 728
Fax : 23 50 144
Email : ranchiarchdiocese@gmail.com

Archdiocese of Ranchi at a Glance

Ecclesiastical Institutions

Parishes & Substations : 38Retreat Centres: 02
Major Seminaries : 0Diocesan Minor Seminaries: 0
Congregation Minor Seminaries: 0Religious Formation Houses : 28
Men Religious Houses: 0Women Religious Houses: 0

Charitable Institutions

Hospitals : 05Dispensaries / Clinics / Health Centres: 24
Orphanages : 02Homes for Aged & Destitute : 01
Schools for Physically Challenged: 0Homes for Physically Challenged : 0
Crèches: 0Boarding Houses : 0
Counselling Centres : 0De-addiction Centre: 01
Social Centres : 0HIV / AIDS Centre: 0

Educational Institutions

Professional Colleges : 03Degree Colleges: 02
Parallel Colleges : 0Vocational / Technical Training Centres : 19
Higher Secondary / Junior Colleges : 02High Schools : 34
Upper Primary Schools: 27Lower Primary Schools:04
Nurseries / Pre-Primary Schools :06Presses & Media Centres : 03

History

The first Belgian Jesuit to enter Chotanagpur was Fr Auguste Stockman. He traveled by bullock cart from Midnapur and after a difficult journey of a fortnight reached Chaibasa on November 25, 1868. His work among the Ho tribe did not yield results, so he moved towards Ranchi district in January 1875.                                                    
 
Other Belgian Jesuits came to Ranchi in 1877 to act as military chaplains to the troops at Doranda (Ranchi). As the prospects of evangelization among the tribals of Chotanagpur were bright, the first mission stations were opened among the Mundas. However, the real impetus came from Fr Constant Lievens, who arrived at Doranda on March 18, 1885. He is often called the Apostle of Chotanagpur. He left Ranchi on August 26, 1892, a broken man. He died at Leuven in Belgium on November 7, 1893. A century later on November 7, 1993 his mortal remains were re-interred in the Ranchi Cathedral. His Cause for Beatification was officially inaugurated at Moorslede, in the Diocese of Brugge (Belgium) on March 15, 2001.
 
To assist the Missionaries, the Loreto Sisters from Ireland opened a Convent in the red Lodge on Purulia Road, Ranchi, in march 1890. It was here that the Daughters of St. Anne, a Diocesan Congregation, had their beginning in 1897. The Ursuline Sisters of Tildonk, Belgium established themselves in the same compound on January 13, 1903.
 
By 1927 the Ranchi Mission had developed to such an extent that by decree of the Holy See, dated May 25, 1927, it was separated from the Calcutta Archdiocese to form a new Diocese with Ranchi as its Episcopal seat and Msgr. Louis Van Hoeck, sj, as the first bishop. He was succeeded by Rt. Rev. O. Sevrin, sj, in1934, who was pastor for 18 years (1934 - 1952).

As the faith spread and took firm root in Chotanagpur, the Catholic Church was being built up and developed, especially through parishes and schools. Soon the rapid growth of the mission made it imperative to call in other labourers, the S.V.D. Fathers, the Australian and American Jesuits.

For better pastoral care of the faithful, the vast Archdiocese of Ranchi was divided and on June 14, 1951, the Diocese of Sambalpur gave birth to Rourkela Diocese on July 4, 1979 and Ambikapur became a separate diocese on December 14, 1977. On September 19, 1953, the Diocese of Ranchi was raised to the status of an Archdiocese with Sambalpur and Cuttack as its suffargans. On July 2, 1962, the Diocese of Jamshedpur was created. Then in 1968, the Diocese of Patna and Bhagalpur and the Prefecture of Balasore were made suffragans of Ranchi Archdiocese. Again on June 5, 1971 the Diocese of Daltonganj, comprising the civil districts of Hazaribagh (which itself became a diocese on May 12, 1995), and Palamau was carved out of the Archdiocese of Ranchi. In 1980, Muzaffarpur Diocese was formed from a part of Patna Diocese and made suffragan of Ranchi.
 
The Andamans and Nicobar Islands, became part of Ranchi in 1947, and were since 1966 under the care of the Pilar Fathers, and became a new Diocese on June 26, 1984.
 
On July 1, 1993, two new Dioceses, Gumla and Simdega, were established with territories taken from the Ranchi Archdiocese. On May 12, 1995 the new Diocese of Khunti was established with territories taken from the Archdiocese of Ranchi. It comprises the whole Khunti civil Sub-division. In 1998 two more new Dioceses were created, North of the Ganges, and made suffragans of Ranchi, Bettiah and Purnea.
 
Thus the original Ranchi Diocese divided into 14 Dioceses including the present Archdiocese of Ranchi. On March 16,1999 the Ranchi Ecclesiastical Province was bifurcated in anticipation of the creation of Jharkhand. Patna, Capital of Bihar, became an Archdiocese with four suffragans: Bettiah, Bhagalpur, Muzaffarpur and Purnea.

Pilgrim Centres

Pilgrim Centres:  

Former Bishops

NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Vincent BarwaAuxiliary Bishop2004-2004
Most Rev. Pius Kerketta, SJ Archbishop1961-1985
Most Rev. Nicholas Kujur, SJ Archbishop1952-1960
Most Rev. Oscar Sevrin, SJ Bishop1934-1951
Most Rev. Louis Van Hoeck, SJ Bishop1928-1933
Most Rev. Binay KandulnaAuxiliary Bishop 2009- 2012