Dioceses of India
Total: 1
Palghat

Diocese of Palghat

Quick Links:      History
Rite: Syro-Malabar
Region : Kerala
Patron: St. Joseph
Founded: 20 June 1974
Province: Trichur
Status: Diocese
Total area: 4480 sq. kms.
Total Population : 2,810,892
Catholics Total: 56,827
Diocesan Priests: 125
Religious Priests: 65
Religious Sisters: 1573
Minor Seminarians: 40
Major Seminarians: 50

Bishop of the Diocese

Most Rev. Jacob Manathodath
BISHOP OF PALGHAT
Personal Details
Born:22-Feb-1947
Priestly Ordination:4-Nov-1972
Episcopal Ordination:28-Nov-1992
Period: 1997-

Tel(P):  0491-2525129
Email(P): jmanathodath@gmail.com
Contact Details
Bishop’s House, Noorani P. O., Post Bag No. 4, Palakkad - 678 004 (Kerala)
Tel(O): 0491-25 15 277, 25 26 583
Fax : 25 25 129
Email : palghat_diocese@dataone.in

Diocese of Palghat at a Glance

Ecclesiastical Institutions

Parishes & Substations : 123Retreat Centres: 02
Major Seminaries : 0Diocesan Minor Seminaries: 01
Congregation Minor Seminaries: 02Religious Formation Houses : 07
Men Religious Houses: 29Women Religious Houses: 143

Charitable Institutions

Hospitals : 12Dispensaries / Clinics / Health Centres: 05
Orphanages : 20Homes for Aged & Destitute : 09
Schools for Physically Challenged: 08Homes for Physically Challenged : 0
Crèches: 07Boarding Houses : 17
Counselling Centres : 05De-addiction Centre: 02
Social Centres : 09HIV / AIDS Centre: 02

Educational Institutions

Professional Colleges : 05Degree Colleges: 04
Parallel Colleges : 05Vocational / Technical Training Centres : 20
Higher Secondary / Junior Colleges : 13High Schools : 21
Upper Primary Schools: 31Lower Primary Schools:52
Nurseries / Pre-Primary Schools :66Presses & Media Centres : 03

History


The Eparchy of Palghat was erected on June 20, 1974, through the Decree "Apostolico Requirente", bifurcating the eparchy of Trichur and adding into the territory of the new eparchy a few parishes of the eparchy of Tellichery, which were in the district of Palakkad. It was a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Ernakulam. The eparchy was inaugurated on September 8, 1974. 

The episcopal ordination of Msgr. Joseph Irimpen and his assumption of office as the first bishop of the eparchy took place on the same day. It is now a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Trichur. The eparchy covers an area of 4480 km sq.km and comprises the civil district of Palakkad in Kerala. At the time of the inauguration of the Eparchy it had a total of 16 parishes and 8 stations. The number of diocesan priests was 14 and that of the faithful was 20810. It has now 58435 faithful, 148 priests incardinated to it and 87 parishes and 39 stations. By the grace of God the eparchy is today what it is. The Lord has done great things for the people of God of this area through the pioneering and missionary work of the priests, sisters and the laity under the able and inspiring leadership of Mar Joseph Irimpen. After twenty years of dedicated and loving service Bishop Irimpen retired from his office on December 6,1994. Even after his retirement he, true to his motto, spent his time to love and serve. He slept in the Lord on August 23, 1997. Msgr. Joseph Veliyathil served the Eparchy as its Administrator from December 6, 1994 to February 1, 1997. 

Pope John Paul II nominated Bishop Jacob Manathodath, the then Auxiliary Bishop of Ernakulam-Angamaly as the Bishop of Palghat on November 11, 1996. Bishop Manathodath took canonical possession of the eparchy on February 1, 1997. The eparchy of Palghat was bifurcated and a new eparchy namely Ramanathapuram was erected on 18th January, 2010.

Former Bishops

NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Joseph IrimpenBishop1974-1994