Dioceses of India
Total: 1
Ootacamund 

Diocese of Ootacamund 

Quick Links:      History
Rite: Latin
Region : Tamil Nadu
Patron: Sacred Heart of Jesus
Founded: 3 July 1955
Province: Madras-Mylapore
Status: Diocese
Total area: 2,822 sq. kms.
Total Population : 14,60,000
Catholics Total:  84,900
Diocesan Priests: 122
Religious Priests: 17
Religious Sisters: 550
Minor Seminarians: 0
Major Seminarians: 0

Bishop of the Diocese

Most Rev. Araulappan Amalraj
BISHOP OF OOTACAMUND
Personal Details
Born:4-Dec-1953
Priestly Ordination:26-Dec-1980
Episcopal Ordination:9-Aug-2006
Period: 2006-

Tel(P): 0423-2441604
Email(P): bishopooty@gmail.com
Contact Details
Bishop’s House, P. B. No. 5, St Mary’s Hill Udhagamandalam - 643 001 The Nilgiris (Tamil Nadu)
Tel(O): 0423-24 42 366
Fax : 24 47 996
Email : bishopooty@ootacamunddiocese.org

Diocese of Ootacamund  at a Glance

Ecclesiastical Institutions

Parishes & Substations : 61Retreat Centres: 01
Major Seminaries : 0Diocesan Minor Seminaries: 01
Congregation Minor Seminaries: 03Religious Formation Houses : 05
Men Religious Houses: 06Women Religious Houses: 79

Charitable Institutions

Hospitals : 09Dispensaries / Clinics / Health Centres: 28
Orphanages : 16Homes for Aged & Destitute : 04
Schools for Physically Challenged: 0Homes for Physically Challenged : 0
Crèches: 0Boarding Houses : 0
Counselling Centres : 0De-addiction Centre: 0
Social Centres : 0HIV / AIDS Centre: 0

Educational Institutions

Professional Colleges : 30Degree Colleges: 01
Parallel Colleges : 0Vocational / Technical Training Centres : 02
Higher Secondary / Junior Colleges : 15High Schools : 19
Upper Primary Schools: 07Lower Primary Schools:0
Nurseries / Pre-Primary Schools :0Presses & Media Centres : 01

History

The Diocese of Ootacamund came into being by the Apostolic Constitution Nuntiatur in Psalmis of Pope Pius XII, which was promulgated on July 3, 1955. It came into being by partition from the mother diocese, Mysore of which it had been a part from 1941-1955. Comprising the whole of the Nilgiris District and a part of Erode District which lies to the north of river Bhavani. The diocese covers an area of 7,312 sq. kms and has a population numbering 14,60,000 of which 84,900 are Catholics and 51,000 are Christians from other denominations. 

The Paris Foreign Mission: In 1773 when Pope Clement XIII suppressed the Society of Jesus, the Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of Faith handed over the entire Carnatic Mission to the Fathers of the Paris Foreign Mission in 1776. The Paris Foreign Mission had it's headquarters at Pondicherry and the Fathers being few in number; found it impossible to care for the immense territory, which stretched from Pondicherry to Kumbakonam, Coimbatore, Bangalore and Mysore. Finally, despite the difficulties arising from the political situation of those times, two M.E.P Fathers succeeded in getting permission in 1836, to settle in Karumathampatty in the Coimbatore district. Two years later, one of them took charge of the small nascent out-station of Coimbatore at Ooty, Coonoor and Kotagiri in the Nilgiris. In 1842, a small chapel was built in Ooty to cater to the spiritual needs of the Christian community that began steadily increasing after the completion of the ghat road from Mettupalayam to Ooty . 

The New Diocese of Ootacamund: In 1845, Coimbatore and Mysore became separate pro-vicariates apostolic and dioceses with the establishment of the Hierarchy in India by Pope Leo XIII in 1886. Until 1940, the Nilgiris district together with all the territory lying to the North of the river Bhavani was part of Coimbatore Diocese. By a decree of the Sacred Congregation of the Propagation of Faith, dated 13th February 1940 it was attached to the Diocese of Mysore. In 1941 Mysore Diocese was reconstituted and Nilgiris District and all the territory to the north of river Bhavani became a part of it. Being a part of the diocese of Mysore for fourteen years, owing to the difficulties arising out of the differences in language, culture and distance Ootacamund was raised to the status of a diocese in it's own right on July 3, 1955. 

Bishops of the Diocese: Bishop Antony Padiyara was nominated the first Bishop of the new diocese. He was a great visionary who directed the destinies of the diocese for 15 years. The next bishop was Bishop Packiam Arokiaswamy from the neighbouring Diocese of Coimbatore. He was

naltrexone

naltrexonealcoholismmedication.com natraxone nominated on February 6, 1971. On December 21, 1973, Very Rev. Fr Aruldas James, was nominated the Bishop of Ootacamund. He led the diocese for more than 20 years.

Bishop Antony Anandarayar: On January 12, 1997 Rt. Rev. Dr. Antony Anandarayar was appointed Bishop of Ootacamund. A person endowed with innumerable talents, high calibre, and great administrative capabilities, his zeal and wisdom, his devotedness and kindness, his piety and efficiency, his simplicity and humility, his character and competence make him the good shepherd immensely loved and deeply esteemed by his priests and people. After assuming the responsibility of shepherding the diocese, the diocese of Ootacamund is going forward and prospering under his able administration and guidance. Magnificent churches, beautiful chapels in substations, and presbyteries have been constructed. Bishop Antony Anandarayar has created a new parish and has been responsible for inviting a new religious congregation in the diocese to labour for the poor and oppressed in Chimitahalli a remote parish in the diocese. He is also striving to make parishes self-sufficient and has introduced the slab system wherein parishes according to their income have the obligation to contribute a certain percentage to the diocese annually .
 
The diocese is divided into five vicariates, each with a Vicar Forane for better co-ordination and administration. His love for the poor and downtrodden is exhibited in his visit to 1500 families in the slums; he is so kind hearted that nobody returns home empty handed after paying him a visit. His primary concern has been providing education to the poor children that they may have a better future. In this venture he has upgraded St. Francis Xavier's High School, Kodiveri into a Higher Secondary School. Thousands of poor children look up to him as a loving father for the help he has offered for their betterment and improvement. He educates many children at various levels in schools and colleges. His motto "to serve in faith and love" has become an attainable reality by his extension of maximum help to the poor and downtrodden.

Former Bishops

NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Anthony AnandarayarBishop1997-2004
Most Rev. James Masilamony Arul DasBishop1973-1994
Most Rev. Packiam ArokiaswamyBishop1971-1971
His Eminence Antony PadiyaraBishop1955-1970