Dioceses of India
Total: 1
Nellore

Diocese of Nellore

Quick Links:      History
Rite: Latin
Region : Andhra Pradesh
Patron: St. Theresa of Child Jesus
Founded: 3 July 1928
Province: Vishakapatnam
Status: Diocese
Total area: 36,000 Sq. km
Total Population : 6,300,000
Catholics Total: 58,137
Diocesan Priests: 161
Religious Priests: 09
Religious Sisters: 233
Minor Seminarians: 0
Major Seminarians: 0

Bishop of the Diocese

Most Rev. Moses Doraboina Prakasam
BISHOP OF NELLORE
Personal Details
Born:2-Oct-1957
Priestly Ordination:7-Apr-1983
Episcopal Ordination:28-Aug-2002
Period: 2006-

Tel(P): 0861 - 2320191, 09849165697
Email(P): bspprakasam@yahoo.com
Contact Details
Bishop’s House, Santhapet, Nellore - 524 001 (Andhra Pradesh)
Tel(O): 0861-23 31 038
Fax : 23 23 950
Email : nlrbhs@yahoo.com

Diocese of Nellore at a Glance

Ecclesiastical Institutions

Parishes & Substations : 76Retreat Centres: 0
Major Seminaries : 0Diocesan Minor Seminaries: 0
Congregation Minor Seminaries: 0Religious Formation Houses : 06
Men Religious Houses: 0Women Religious Houses: 0

Charitable Institutions

Hospitals : 02Dispensaries / Clinics / Health Centres: 14
Orphanages : 06Homes for Aged & Destitute : 0
Schools for Physically Challenged: 03Homes for Physically Challenged : 0
Crèches: 0Boarding Houses : 0
Counselling Centres : 0De-addiction Centre: 04
Social Centres : 05HIV / AIDS Centre: 0

Educational Institutions

Professional Colleges : 01Degree Colleges: 01
Parallel Colleges : 0Vocational / Technical Training Centres : 05
Higher Secondary / Junior Colleges : 02High Schools : 24
Upper Primary Schools: 04Lower Primary Schools:15
Nurseries / Pre-Primary Schools :05Presses & Media Centres : 02

History

The First Fathers in the area were the Jesuits from Pondicherry in 1700. By 1736 many Telugus had joyfully accepted baptism. After the Jesuit withdrawal in 1773 the people were left without priests for 50 years until the priest of the Paris Foreign Missionary Society came. Though few in number these gallant Fathers kept the faith alive so that the northern area of the Carnatic Mission was erected into Vicariate Apostolic and entrusted to the secular Irish Fathers (Maynooth and All Hallows). To aid these fathers, priests of St. Joseph's Society Mill Hill, London came in 1875 and began working among the Telugus.

The Diocese of Nellore was erected by virtue of the Papal Bull "Ad majus religionis incrementum" dated July 3, 1928; however the communication was sent on November 15, 1928 mentioning that the decree of erection will take effect on November 26, 1928, comprising the civil districts of Nellore, Ananthapur, Chitoor, Cuddapah, Kurnool and Guntur, and Bp Bouter became the First Bishop of the new diocese.

In 1940 the civil district of Guntur became a Diocese entrusted to the secular clergy. In August 1959 the taluks of Allur and Adoni, formerly part of the Diocese of Bellary, were added to the Diocese of Nellore. In 1967, the Diocese of Kurnool was formed out of Nellore with the districts of Kurnool and Ananthapur. In 1976 the taluks of Chitoor and Palmaner from the Diocese of Vellore were added to the Diocese of Nellore. In 1977 the Diocese of Cuddapah was carved out of Nellore with the Districts of Cuddapah and Chitoor. At the time the taluks of Giddalur and Markapur of the Diocese of Kurnool and the taluks of Ongole and Chirala were added to the Diocese of Nellore. Today the Diocese of Nellore consists of the district of Nellore and the district of Prakasam except Adoni taluk.

Former Bishops

NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. P C BalaswamyBishop1974-2007
Most Rev. Thumma ShowryBishop1970-1973
Most Rev. William Bouter, MHMBishop1929-1970