Dioceses of India
Total: 1
Krishnagar

Diocese of Krishnagar

Quick Links:      History
Rite: Latin
Region : Bengal
Patron: The Most Redeemer
Founded: 1870
Province: Calcutta
Status: Diocese
Total area: 8,640 Sq km
Total Population : 10,035,000
Catholics Total: 60,000
Diocesan Priests: 38
Religious Priests: 34
Religious Sisters: 352
Minor Seminarians: 0
Major Seminarians: 0

Bishop of the Diocese

Most Rev. Joseph Suren Gomes
BISHOP OF KRISHNAGAR
Personal Details
Born:14-Feb-1944
Priestly Ordination:21-Dec-1974
Episcopal Ordination:31-May-2002
Period: 2002-

Tel(P): 09732774262
Email(P): bpjgomes@vsnl.net
Contact Details
Bishop’s House,Don Bosco Road,Krishnagar - 741 101 Nadia Dt. (West Bengal)
Tel(O): 03472-25 25 54
Fax : 25 26 64
Email : bpjomes011@gmail.com

Diocese of Krishnagar at a Glance

Ecclesiastical Institutions

Parishes & Substations : 20Retreat Centres: 01
Major Seminaries : 0Diocesan Minor Seminaries: 0
Congregation Minor Seminaries: 0Religious Formation Houses : 12
Men Religious Houses: 0Women Religious Houses: 0

Charitable Institutions

Hospitals : 03Dispensaries / Clinics / Health Centres: 13
Orphanages : 03Homes for Aged & Destitute : 02
Schools for Physically Challenged: 0Homes for Physically Challenged : 0
Crèches: 0Boarding Houses : 0
Counselling Centres : 0De-addiction Centre: 0
Social Centres : 03HIV / AIDS Centre: 0

Educational Institutions

Professional Colleges : 06Degree Colleges: 0
Parallel Colleges : 0Vocational / Technical Training Centres : 10
Higher Secondary / Junior Colleges : 03High Schools : 06
Upper Primary Schools: 01Lower Primary Schools:14
Nurseries / Pre-Primary Schools :03Presses & Media Centres : 03

History

The Augustinians and the Jesuits were he first missionaries to look for the souls for Christ in the beginning of 17th century. Around 1620 they established a catholic centre at Berhampur in Murshidabad district.

Fr. Thomas Zubiburu, a Protuguese Carmelite came to Krishnagar in May 1845 from Chitagong and formed the first catholic community at Krishnagar. In 1846 he built a chapel which was dedicated to 'Our Lady of Carmel'. The catholic Mission in Krishnagar was closed when, due to illness, Fr. Thomas was forced to withdraw. The municipality took over the chapel and converted into a dispensary.

The Milan Fathers (MIME) arrived in 1855 to work in central Bengal Mission, consisting of the whole of Assam, part of present Bangladesh, and present Krishnagar diocese. Fr. Luigi Limana claimed the chapel from municipality, and again the catholic community began to group up.

On 19th July 1870 the Holy See erected Krishnagar into a prefecture Apostolic and Fr. Antony Marietti was appointed its first Prefect Apostolic.

Krishnagar was erected a diocese on 1st September 1886 and Mongr. Francis Pozzi was appointed its first Bishop. He built the Cathedral at the sight of old chapel which was destroyed in the earthquake of 1897. He rebuilt a new cathedral at the present site on 29 March 1899, and dedicated to Jesus, the Most Holy Redeemer.

When the diocese of Dinajpur was bifurcated on 20th June 1928 the Milan Fathers opted to work for Dinjapur and handed over Krishnagar to the Salesians of Don Bosco.

On 24 May, 2001, the Feast of Mary Help of Christians, the Salesians of Don Bosco have handed over the Bishop's House to the diocesan clergy.
The Krishnagar diocese is comprised of two civil districts of Naida and Murshidabad in West Bengal, India.

Former Bishops

NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Lucas Sirkar SDB Bishop1984-2000
Most Rev. Mathew Baroi sdbBishop1970-1983
Most Rev. L.R. Morrow sdbBishop1939-1969
Most Rev. Emmanuel Bars sdbBishop1928-1934
Most Rev. Santino TaveggiaBishop1905-1928
Most Rev. Frances PozziBishop1886-1905
Most Rev. Antony MariettiBishop1870-1879