Dioceses of India
Total: 1
Khunti

Diocese of Khunti

Quick Links:      History
Rite: Latin
Region : Bijhan
Patron: St. Michael Archangel
Founded: 1 April 1995
Province: Ranchi
Status: Diocese
Total area: 3,765 Sq km
Total Population : 847,363
Catholics Total: 91,062
Diocesan Priests: 32
Religious Priests: 41
Religious Sisters: 115
Minor Seminarians: 0
Major Seminarians: 0

Bishop of the Diocese

Most Rev. Binay Kandulna
Bishop of Khunti
Personal Details
Born:28-Jan-1964
Priestly Ordination:23-Apr-1994
Episcopal Ordination:1-May-2009
Period:2012-

Tel(P): 06528-220716
Email(P): bkandulna@gmail.com
Contact Details
Bishop’s House, Torpa Road, Girja Toli, P. O. & Dt. Khunti - 835 210 (Jharkhand)
Tel(O): 06528-22 03 89
Email : bptiru@sancharnet.in

Diocese of Khunti at a Glance

Ecclesiastical Institutions

Parishes & Substations : 20Retreat Centres: 0
Major Seminaries : 0Diocesan Minor Seminaries: 0
Congregation Minor Seminaries: 0Religious Formation Houses : 04
Men Religious Houses: 0Women Religious Houses: 0

Charitable Institutions

Hospitals : 01Dispensaries / Clinics / Health Centres: 13
Orphanages : 01Homes for Aged & Destitute : 0
Schools for Physically Challenged: 0Homes for Physically Challenged : 0
Crèches: 0Boarding Houses : 0
Counselling Centres : 0De-addiction Centre: 02
Social Centres : 02HIV / AIDS Centre: 0

Educational Institutions

Professional Colleges : 04Degree Colleges: 02
Parallel Colleges : 0Vocational / Technical Training Centres : 01
Higher Secondary / Junior Colleges : 02High Schools : 22
Upper Primary Schools: 26Lower Primary Schools:05
Nurseries / Pre-Primary Schools :0Presses & Media Centres : 0

History

The first Catholic Father in Chotanagpur was Fr Augustine Stockman sj whose Church work in this region began in 1868 in Chaibasa. He was the first of the band of valiant Jesuits who toiled to plant the mustard seed of the Gospel in the Quadrilateral over a period of more that 20 years; Bandgaon, Kochang, Sarwada and Dolda are the fruits of those early labours. The year 1885 saw Fr Constance Lievens sj, the "Apostle of Chotanagpur", settle in Torpa, western part of the Diocese, introducing a different Church work approach with spectacular success as well as painful trials. The MUNDAS flocked to TORPA, and many mission stations where the message of Christ in word and deed was spread.

Fr John Baptist Hoffmann's mission to the Mundas began in 1893. His outstanding contribution lay in his struggle for the land rights of the tribals, the monumental gothic church built at Sarwada, the setting up of the Co-operative Bank to free the people from the tyranny of money-lenders and his invaluable and genius work on Mundari language and culture as seen in his 16 Volume "ENCYCLOPEDIA - MUNDARICA' which he worked on after his repatriation to Germany in 1915 as a hostile alien by the British Government.

In 1928 the Archdiocese of Calcutta gave birth to the Diocese of Ranchi. Bp Louis Van Hoeck sj, as the First Bishop of Ranchi continued life time efforts to promote the education of the tribals and to lay the foundations of indigenous clergy. This thrust was made more vivid by Bp Oscar Severin, sj.

In 1952 Ranchi became an Archdiocese in its own right with Abp Nicholaus Kujur sj as its First Archbishop. In the four decades since the original Archdioceses was established there are now 16 dioceses, of which Khunti is one of them.

The Diocese of Khunti was established by Pope John Paul II with southern territory taken from the Archdiocese of Ranchi. Khunti diocese comprises the whole civil Subdivision of Khunti and the Parish of Bandgaon in West Singhbhum district. The Catholic population of the diocese consists mostly of Scheduled Tribes, chiefly Mundas in majority. Bp Stephen M. Tiru, Bishop of Dumka, was transferred to Khunti on May 12, 1995, as the First Bishop of the new diocese.

Former Bishops

NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Binay KandulnaApostolic Administrator2012-2012
Most Rev. Stephen M TiruBishop1995-2010