Dioceses of India
Total: 1
Khandwa

Diocese of Khandwa

Quick Links:      History
Rite: Latin
Region : Madhya Pradesh
Patron: St. Pius
Founded: 3 February 1977
Province: Bhopal
Status: Diocese
Total area: 24,000 sq. kms. 
Total Population : 4.4 million
Catholics Total: 30,000
Diocesan Priests: 58
Religious Priests: 10
Religious Sisters: 272
Minor Seminarians: 0
Major Seminarians: 0

Bishop of the Diocese

Most Rev. Arockia Sebastian Durairaj Alangaram SVD
BISHOP OF KHANDWA
Personal Details
Born:3-May-1957
Priestly Ordination:8-May-1985
Episcopal Ordination:16-Jul-2009
Period: 2009-

Tel(P): 0733-2223603
Email(P): durairajsvd@gmail.com
Contact Details

prednisolon tabletta

prednisolon click here
Bishop's house,
Civil Lines,
Khandwa - 450 001.
MADHYA PRADESH
Tel(O): 0733-22 22 935
Fax : 22 24 038
Email : khandwadiocese@gmail.com

Diocese of Khandwa at a Glance

Ecclesiastical Institutions

Parishes & Substations : 87Retreat Centres: 0
Major Seminaries : 0Diocesan Minor Seminaries: 01
Congregation Minor Seminaries: 01Religious Formation Houses : 04
Men Religious Houses: 06Women Religious Houses: 49

Charitable Institutions

Hospitals : 03Dispensaries / Clinics / Health Centres: 20
Orphanages : 0Homes for Aged & Destitute : 0
Schools for Physically Challenged: 0Homes for Physically Challenged : 0
Crèches: 0Boarding Houses : 27
Counselling Centres : 0De-addiction Centre: 0
Social Centres : 0HIV / AIDS Centre: 0

Educational Institutions

Professional Colleges : 01Degree Colleges: 0
Parallel Colleges : 0Vocational / Technical Training Centres : 04
Higher Secondary / Junior Colleges : 06High Schools : 10
Upper Primary Schools: 22Lower Primary Schools:0
Nurseries / Pre-Primary Schools :0Presses & Media Centres : 0

History

The history of the advent of mission activities in Khandwa region began with the coming of the Missionaries of St. Francis De Sales to Asirgarh Fort in 1866. They operated in those days from Nagpur. The first of them was Rev. Fr. Amedeys Delalex who as a military chaplain of Jabalpur, had to visit periodically the Asirgarh Fort, which was not very far from Khandwa. In 1870 Rev. Fr. J. Thevenet built a small chapel at Khandwa and in 1880 he built a Church in Gothic style, which was solemnly blessed by Dr. Meurin, Vicar Apostolic of Bombay, in the presence of Bishop Tissot of Vishakpatanam. Rev. Fr. Souchon was the first resident parish priest from 1880 to 1888. Gradually Khandwa became the headquarters of mission work. The Franciscan missionaries contributed a major share to this cause especially in places like Khandwa, Aulia, Sirpur, etc. It was in 1932 that the SVD missionaries came to India and this area was then entrusted to their care. Then onwards the Divine Word Missionaries active in both East and West Nimar were instrumental in spreading the Word of God and establishing the local church. Khandwa was part of Indore Diocese.

The Diocese of Khandwa was erected on February 3, 1977 by the Papal Bull "Apostolico Officio" of Pope Paul VI. It comprises of the four civil districts of Khandwa, Bhurhanpur, Barwani and Khargone, also called East and West Nimar districts, separated from Indore diocese. Bp Abraham Viruthakulangara was appointed the First Bishop of Khandwa. In 1997 he was Transferred and appointed as the Archbishop of Nagapur.

Former Bishops

NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Leo Cornelio SVDBishop1999-2007