Dioceses of India
Total: 1
Bhagalpur

Diocese of Bhagalpur

Quick Links:      History
Rite: Latin
Region : Bijhan
Patron: St. Elizabeth of Hungary, St. Louis of France
Founded: 11 January 1965
Province: Patna
Status: Diocese
Total area: 26,000 sq. km.
Total Population : 91,76,600
Catholics Total: 86,903
Diocesan Priests: 98
Religious Priests: 24
Religious Sisters: 345
Minor Seminarians: 0
Major Seminarians: 0

Bishop of the Diocese

Most Rev. Kurian Valiakandathil
BISHOP OF BHAGALPUR
Personal Details
Born:18-Nov-1952
Priestly Ordination:28-Oct-1977
Episcopal Ordination:27-Feb-2007
Period: 2007- Email(P): bpkurien@gmail.com
Contact Details
Chancery Office, Nawab Colony, Post Box No. 61 Bhagalpur - 812 001 (Bihar)
Tel(O): 0641-24 00 878
Fax : 23 01 281
Email : chan_bpa@yahoo.com

Diocese of Bhagalpur at a Glance

Ecclesiastical Institutions

Parishes & Substations : 65Retreat Centres: 0
Major Seminaries : 0Diocesan Minor Seminaries: 0
Congregation Minor Seminaries: 0Religious Formation Houses : 08
Men Religious Houses: 0Women Religious Houses: 0

Charitable Institutions

Hospitals : 05Dispensaries / Clinics / Health Centres: 34
Orphanages : 03Homes for Aged & Destitute : 0
Schools for Physically Challenged: 05Homes for Physically Challenged : 0
Crèches: 0Boarding Houses : 03
Counselling Centres : 0De-addiction Centre: 05
Social Centres : 03HIV / AIDS Centre: 0

Educational Institutions

Professional Colleges : 01Degree Colleges: 0
Parallel Colleges : 0Vocational / Technical Training Centres : 01
Higher Secondary / Junior Colleges : 06High Schools : 30
Upper Primary Schools: 44Lower Primary Schools:04
Nurseries / Pre-Primary Schools :0Presses & Media Centres : 01

History

The Third Order Regular (TOR) Franciscan Fathers of the province of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Loretto, Pennyslvania, USA came to the Diocese of Patna to assist the Jesuits in 1939. They were then assigned to the Church Station of Bhagalpur, Gokhla, Poreyahat and Godda.

In 1956 Bhagalpur was cut off from the Diocese of Patna and Prefecture Apostolic was established by the Holy See. Rt. Rev. Msgr. Urban McGarry, tor, was appointed its first Prefect Apostolic on August 7, 1956.

The Diocese of Bhagalpur was erected and its First Bishop, Rt. Rev. Urban McGarry, tor, was appointed on January 25, 1965. The present diocese is formed out the south-eastern portion of the Patna diocese and it comprises the district of Bhagalpur, Godda district of the Santhal Pargans Divisions, Deoghar and Sarawan thanas of the Santhal Parganas Division.

Within a short time of their arrival, the TOR Fathers recruited local vocations and a novitiate was started. A further step forward was taken when a Franciscan Monastery (clericate) at Ranchi was established to further the training of Religious Clerics. A Minor Seminary (now Regional Seminary) was opened in 1959 at Bhagalpur where the Franciscan and Diocesan candidates were being trained in the seminary.

Twenty religious congregations of Sisters share a great burden in the apostolic educational and medical activities of the diocese.

On October 8, 1970 the Revenue Thana of Chakai, Dt. Monghyr (now Jaumui District) embracing Mariampahari and Jhajha, formerly of Patna diocese was annexed to the Diocese by the Sacred Congregation for the Evangelization of the peoples, in virtue of the faculty granted by Pope Paul VI. Shortly after the part of the Giridih district, formerly of Ranchi Archdiocese, was likewise annexed to the Diocese of Bhagalpur. In 1984, the parishes of Sokho and Kharagpur, formerly of Patna diocese were handed over to the Bhagalpur diocese.

Former Bishops

NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Thomas Khozimala Bishop1996-2005
Most Rev. George Victor Saupin, S.J.Bishop1987-1993
Most Rev. Urban Eugene McGarry, T.O.R.Bishop1965-1987