Dioceses of India
Total: 1
Berhampur

Diocese of Berhampur

Quick Links:      History
Rite: Latin
Region : Orissa
Patron: St. Vincent De Paul
Founded: 24 January 1974
Province: Cuttack-Bhubaneswar
Status: Diocese
Total area: 51.289km2
Total Population : 82,58,452
Catholics Total: 1,25,241
Diocesan Priests: 78
Religious Priests: 60
Religious Sisters: 233
Minor Seminarians: 24
Major Seminarians: 39

Bishop of the Diocese

Most Rev. Sarat Chandra Nayak
BISHOP OF BERHAMPUR
Personal Details
Born:1-Jul-1957
Priestly Ordination:25-Apr-1990
Episcopal Ordination:30-Jan-2007
Period: 2007-

Tel(P): 09437681965
Email(P): bishopofberhampur@gmail.com
Contact Details
Bishop’s House, P.O. Narendrapur - 760 007 Ganjam Dist. (Odisha)
Tel(O): 09439000657
Email : bishopofberhampur@gmail.com

Diocese of Berhampur at a Glance

Ecclesiastical Institutions

Parishes & Substations : 43Retreat Centres: 02
Major Seminaries : 01Diocesan Minor Seminaries: 01
Congregation Minor Seminaries: 02Religious Formation Houses : 04
Men Religious Houses: 01Women Religious Houses: 52

Charitable Institutions

Hospitals : 02Dispensaries / Clinics / Health Centres: 23
Orphanages : 09Homes for Aged & Destitute : 08
Schools for Physically Challenged: 02Homes for Physically Challenged : 0
Crèches: 0Boarding Houses : 30
Counselling Centres : 0De-addiction Centre: 0
Social Centres : 01HIV / AIDS Centre: 23

Educational Institutions

Professional Colleges : 02Degree Colleges: 01
Parallel Colleges : 0Vocational / Technical Training Centres : 02
Higher Secondary / Junior Colleges : 10High Schools : 15
Upper Primary Schools: 14Lower Primary Schools:14
Nurseries / Pre-Primary Schools :05Presses & Media Centres : 01

History

The seed of Catholicism in Orissa can be traced back to the 17th Century, when it was under the care of Madras-Mylapore. By 1845 the region of Orissa was already under Visakhapatnam diocese. In the course of time the fathers of St. Francis de Sales, msfs, evangelised the hilly region of Ganjam and Phulbani and the coastal belt of Cuttack and Berhampur.

After World War I, in 1992, the MSFS Fathers handed over the Cuttack Mission to 4 Spanish Vincentian Fathers. Later many other Spanish Fathers joined them and the Church work progressed in leaps and bounds. The Mission of Cuttack was declared "Missio Sui Juris" by Pope Pius XI on July 18, 1928. Fr Valerian Guemes, cm, was appointed its Administrator and Ecclesial Superior.

In 1937 Cuttack Mission was raised to the status of a diocese. Pope Paul VI, by the Papal Bull 'Verba Jesus Christi', issued on January 24, 1974, bifurcated the Diocese of Cuttack, and out of the southern district of Orissa, erected the Diocese of Berhampur as a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar. The Diocese of Berhampur comprises the civil districts of Ganjam, Gajapati, Nuapoda, Koraput, Rayagada, Nabarangapur, Malkangiri and Kalahandi.

Bp Thomas Thiruthalil, cm was installed on June 23, 1974 as the First Bishop of the diocese. In January 1990 he was transferred to the newly erected Diocese of Balasore.

Former Bishops

NameDesignationPeriod
Most Rev. Joseph Das Bishop1993-2006
Most Rev. Thomas Thiruthalil CMBishop1974-1989