Dioceses of India
Total: 1
Balasore

Diocese of Balasore

Quick Links:      History
Rite: Latin
Region : Orissa
Patron: Christ the King
Province: Cuttack-Bhubaneswar
Status: Diocese
Total area: 28,118 Sq. Kms.
Total Population : 71,42,703
Catholics Total: 22,832
Diocesan Priests: 55
Religious Priests: 10
Religious Sisters: 137
Minor Seminarians: 63
Major Seminarians: 30

Bishop of the Diocese

Most Rev. Simon Kaipuram CM
BISHOP OF BALASORE
Personal Details
Born:9-Feb-1954
Priestly Ordination:20-Dec-1980
Episcopal Ordination:30-Jan-2014
Period:2014-Till

Tel(P): 09437809413, 06782 - 260077
Email(P): skaipuram@gmail.com
Contact Details
Bishop’s House, Balasore - 756 001 (Odisha)
Tel(O): 06782-26 20 56
Fax : 26 93 93
Email : blsbishop@gmail.com

Diocese of Balasore at a Glance

Ecclesiastical Institutions

Parishes & Substations : 25Retreat Centres: 0
Major Seminaries : 0Diocesan Minor Seminaries: 0
Congregation Minor Seminaries: 0Religious Formation Houses : 03
Men Religious Houses: 05Women Religious Houses: 14

Charitable Institutions

Hospitals : 01Dispensaries / Clinics / Health Centres: 20
Orphanages : 0Homes for Aged & Destitute : 02
Schools for Physically Challenged: 02Homes for Physically Challenged : 0
Crèches: 0Boarding Houses : 0
Counselling Centres : 0De-addiction Centre: 0
Social Centres : 0HIV / AIDS Centre: 0

Educational Institutions

Professional Colleges : 0Degree Colleges: 0
Parallel Colleges : 0Vocational / Technical Training Centres : 0
Higher Secondary / Junior Colleges : 0High Schools : 09
Upper Primary Schools: 10Lower Primary Schools:0
Nurseries / Pre-Primary Schools :0Presses & Media Centres : 0

History

The four districts of Orissa, i.e, Balasore, Bhadrak, Mayurbhanj and Keonjhar, were under the Archdiocese of Calcutta till 1968. Christianity began in Balasore probably during the years 1859 -1865 when church activities were started by Fr Chrysanthus Depart in Midnapur - Balasore area. He settled down at Balasore in 1865. From 1865 till 1936 the Jesuit Fathers residing at Balasore and Krishnachandrapur looked after the Church in Balasore. From 1936 onwards till 1938 there were no residential priests in Balasore and the two church work stations were looked after by the Jesuits of Balasore. Due to an earthquake the church was damaged and later completely dismantled. The Fathers left for Malta and gradually many Christians left Balasore. In 1948 Fathers Vizjak, a Jesuit Priest, resided at Krishnachandrapur and Balasore alternatively and cared for the needs of the little community which stayed back. From 1964 till 1968 Diocesan Priests from the Diocese of Cuttack rendered their services in Balasore, Krishnachandrapur and in Barbil at the request of the Archbishop of Calcutta.

On June 8, 1968, the Holy See separated the above mentioned three districts from the Archdiocese of Calcutta and formed them into one unit named "Prefecture of Balasore", annexing it to the ecclesiastical Province of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar. The new Prefecture is entrusted to "Congregation of the Mission". (Vincentians).

On June 14, 1968, Bp Jacob Vadakeveetil, cm, of the Congregation of the Mission was appointed the first Apostolic Administrator and took charge on November 18, 1968. On January 13, 1990 the Prefecture Apostolic was raised to the status of a diocese and Bp Thomas Thiruthalil, cm, was appointed its First Bishop.

Former Bishops

Most Rev. Thomas Thiruthalil CM
Bishop Emeritus of Balasore
Personal Details
Born:17-Jan-1936
Priestly Ordination:14-Apr-1963
Episcopal Ordination:5-May-1974
Period: 1989-

Tel(P): 09437001696
Email(P): bpthomasbls@gmail.com
Contact Details
Vianney Bhavan, Jyothi Hospital Campus, Kuruda P.O., Balasore-756056 (Odisha)
Tel(O): 06782-26 20 56
Fax : 26 93 93
Email : blsbishop@gmail.com